CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

pursuit

He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life...John 12:25

what does that mean to you? God is really pressing in to me and helping me understand what it means. Life can be so trivial and made out to be something so important when in all reality all that matters is not your own life or own ambition but really throwing that all away to follow Jesus Christ.
Scripture is so clear that if we do this we will gain eternal life and I dont know many who dont want that.

This is one of those statements by Jesus that has really shaken me to my core over the past few weeks. And the verse before this one in John 12 that talks about a grain of wheat having to die in order to produce fruit is another point of really dying to your own desires in life. How do I die now in life....well I know that I have things I would love to accomplish in my life...desires that I even wish to see come true before I leave for South Africa but honestly I need to die to these desires. I need to pursue what He has given me here and really abandon myself to this call to reach the nations.

Desires may be realized in this time before I leave or in my lifetime but only when the focus isnt on myself or on the desires themselves. The pursuit needs to be on the true pursuer...Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you truly living and enjoying the freedom of God's grace? This world does pale in comparison to what is to come but God does desire for us to enjoy all that He has given us in this life. Daily we are to seek His face and His purpose for the day at hand. Our true purpose in life is to give Him glory. It seems you really have been called to S Africa...but God may have great things for you even before you leave. Your right, our eyes must be focused on our Savior...but remember He wants us to have desires. He loves to show Himself to us many times by giving us the desires of our hearts or changing them to be more aligned with his heart so as to become one. My only intention of writing this is to encourage you to really enjoy all that God has given you in this life right now (family, friends, church, job). I merely want to caution you not to allow the "dying to yourself" to rob you of the joy God wants you to experience in the things and people He has placed in your life right now.

andrew said...

thank you for your words whoever you are. Its rare that someone doesnt hesitate to speak up to one of my posts. I really admire your boldness to make the point about being careful in the process of 'dying to self'. I dont want to be robbed of the joy that Christ has intended for me now. As I walk this week I will keep that in my prayers ...thanks so much for posting

-andrew

Jennifer said...

Hey there. As I was reading your post I thought of this song you might enjoy. Its called "My Desire" and its written by Jeremy Camp. Check it out when you get a chance. It has really encouraged me and reminded me about the desires God has given me in my life and how to lay everything down before the King!